tarafouts

Cinema Fiction

Article 5

Article 5 - Kristen Simmons I was very interested in reading this book from the beginning ,because the concept of the plotline was original and creative. Plus, I was in my Hunger Games fangirl mode so this sounded like a really good book to read and keep in that dystopian mode.

I was wrong.

Truthfully I enjoyed the story itself. I loved the plot and I liked the world that Simmons has created for the reader to picture. I loved the idea of the Articles, and I'm wondering if each book in the series (if it'll be a series) will be based around these Articles, because I can totally see it happening. Another reason I hope there will be a series is because they didn't explain anything about the War. What War? How did it start and who was it against? What ended the war? This detail made it difficult for me to connect to the world. All though I liked the idea, it bugged the crap out of me that I didn't know the details.

I also think Ember was way underdeveloped. Granted, she is not stupid like Bella Swan, but yet not as brave as Katniss and not as dynamic as Elisa in The Girl of Fire and Thorns. i loved her counterpart, Chase, but I think Ember could have been a bit more developed.

The biggest thing I had a problem with was the writing itself. I found it too simple. I'm not saying that Simmons should have spent ten pages describing a rock or a blade of grass. I only felt she did way more "telling" than "showing." I also hated, HATED the fact that Ember kept questioning herself, then answering herself, then denying her feelings about her answer, and then summed up everything she should feel instead. The reptitiveness of this aspect of character made me want to strangle her. And I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it made it difficult to get through the book.

It was a good thing the story itself and the concept was more interesting than the characters, and that's the only reason why I decided to finish it.

Don't compre this book to The Hunger Games, because it definitely is not in that league. The story has potential, but flat characters make it difficult to push through.