tarafouts

Cinema Fiction

The Kissing Booth

The Kissing Booth - Beth Reekles This book was picked up by Random House after the popularity of it on Wattpad caught their attention. Beth Reekles lives in the UK and is seventeen years old. This is her debut novel. And, well, it could have been good.

The story centers around Rochelle Evans. She's a popular girl but hasn't really been on dates, mostly because her best friend's big brother has been overly protective and threatens any guy that tries to date her. Which is strange, since being the brother of her best friend doesn't exactly give him the right to control her love life. But he's just looking after her because any of these guys would want to get in her pants.

And he says this multiple times - in the same exact words. In almost every chapter of the book.

Going forward, Rochelle and Lee come up with an idea to make a Kissing Booth for the school carnival. Everyone gets excited about it, and when Noah Flynn shows up to kiss Rochelle, it sparks a dangerous relationship. Noah is NOT a good guy, despite everything that Rochelle tells the reader. He's over protective, overly jealous, way too controlling and violent. He won't start fights but he'll finish them. He'll knock out any guy that tries to touch her. And yet, Rochelle is convinced that he makes her happy. Why? I still don't understand how a guy like Flynn would ever make a girl happy. Cause he's a fantastic kisser? Cause he's super hot? Who knows. I sure don't understand why she would be happy with a guy like Noah Flynn.

Not only did her relationship with Noah not make any sense, the underdevelopment of her relationship with her best friend Lee also disappointed me. There was no depth into his character. He was present throughout the story of course, but he didn't evolve. He didn't change. Both characters were so static it bugged the crap out of me. I wanted her to end up with Lee instead of Noah. I wanted Lee to realize that he actually loved her as more than a best friend. That would have added the missing depth and tension to the plot. But there was nothing there. Her father also had no depth, and you would think once learning about his daughters exploits with Noah, he would be a little more of a parental figure. We also don't know much about her family life, only that she lives with her dad and brother, and oh yeah, about halfway through the book we find out her mother died in a car accident and that she still missed her.

We also know in every chapter that she grew up with Lee and that she knew Noah because he was always around.

It frustrated me that the writing of this book was atrocious, and that Random House would actually publish a book left written as it were. The grammar was terrible, the writing itself was repetitive and immature. She used words like "awesome" or "cool" in dialogue that didn't add anything to the conversation. True, some of the lines were hilarious, but that was all. This is what bugs me about things like this being published. It's why I cringe every time a celebrity has a book out, or why a book was "so popular in the self publishing world." This was no Pushing the Limits (Katie McGarry), which is what I was hoping to be like. Instead it was a frustrating let down.